Govt targets 2028 completion for $400 million Karachi-Hyderabad M-10 motorway
The government is working on a new M-10 motorway to establish a direct connection between Karachi and Hyderabad, with all five sections targeted for completion by 2028, the National Assembly was informed on Friday.
During Question Hour, the federal parliamentary secretary for communications said the existing M-9 would continue to operate as an expressway, while the proposed M-10 would provide a separate direct motorway link between the two cities.
The feasibility study for the M-10 has been completed, and the government is now pursuing the project after reviewing the factors that had kept the Karachi-Hyderabad motorway plan stalled for nearly three decades.
The project has been divided into five sections of approximately 50 kilometres each to facilitate investment. The total cost is estimated at more than $400 million.
The parliamentary secretary said the project had previously failed to attract investors, while the government did not have sufficient funds to finance it. To overcome the financing constraints, all five sections were offered internationally to attract private and institutional investment.
Three sections have since secured investment through different financing arrangements, including support from the Islamic Development Bank, while procurement for some sections is nearing completion. The Frontier Works Organisation (FWO) has also expressed interest in two sections.
The government expects the financing and procurement arrangements to enable construction of all five sections, with completion of the Karachi-Hyderabad motorway targeted for 2028.
